Wednesday, June 23, 2010

In the Realms of Beer and Roasting

So I have messing around with this beer diary that my bosses bought me and it's a pretty handy little tool. The 33 Beers Journal has a easy to understand layout and fits easily in your back pocket. That being said, I have been taking notes in it and intend to flood the world with my assessment of 33 beers in one fell swoop.

As for roasting I am swinging back to the Burundi today. I have had good luck with this coffee not very far past the first crack (about two minutes or so). The smoke changes from a violet sweetness to a more nutty scent and I wait for that to develop before I end the roast. Tastes amazingly lemony and full of body. If you haven't had a Burundi before, you should definitely find one and check it out.

I would estimate that if this coffee was done in a full drum roaster that the lemon would calm down and reveal a more refined complex of berries and melon. I personally cup my roast at around 87 or so, but would hope for something a little richer and fully developed in the cup if it was professionally handled.

No comments: