Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Roasting: Sumatra Onan Ganjang & Kenya Murang'a AA Kangunu

I am roasting up the rest of my Sumatran today. I am really enjoying this coffee. Smooth and liquory. I am roasting it to around 3 minutes past first crack. Right where the scent goes from milk chocolate, sour citrus, and green bark into a more baked brownie/cedary appeal. This produces a slightly lighter roast than most would put on a Sumatran, but I feel it aids the high notes really come through without muddying the waters with all those caramelized sugars. Not to mention the fact that with this Sumatran you can go that light and not risk a sour harshness you risk with a lighter roast.

I don't know how I will roast the Kenya just yet. I am hoping that this one will turn out as delicious as I anticipate. More on this one later.

PS.
For those who are curious I tried the Yemen today. Super chocolaty but lacking in body. Had a deep leathery feel to it. Might try taking the next batch a little further, maybe caramelize some of that chocolate hue some.

Later

1 comment:

Ste said...

WANT YEMEN. Even if it is leathery.

WANT!