Friday, June 11, 2010

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze

I am not the biggest fan of sours (sour things in general are not my bag) but when my friend Alex brings over a bottle of this stuff, you just don't refuse that sort of thing. So we chilled it to the proper temp (around 45F) and preceded to pour away.

The pour was clean. I had my share in a glass chalice while Alex poured his into a bulbed wine glass (good head and decent nose retention as well). The yeasts poured out in the end giving it a gorgeous burnt orange hue. The opacity was such that in my chalice it held a wide spectrum from clear gold to solid orange.

The first scents wafted up and I could tell this was going to unfold deliciously. I found apricots and tart red plums right away, with a bite like that of fresh ground nutmeg. As it warmed I started loosing that plum and gaining a more "early" golden delicious apple.

The tart aspect, while at first was a little affronting, grew on me and enhanced my appreciation for this finely crafted geuze.

Overall I would have to say that this is definitely one lambic ale that everyone needs to try at least once in their lifetime.

Produced: May 05, 2008

No comments: