Thursday, April 1, 2010

Deschutes Brewery - Once A Decade Ale

I was attracted to this ale on the basis of its Jubel-ale label. I tend to like winter ales because of their spicy nature, but I was a little apprehensive because of the type that this one was. Being a bock style made me a little more apprehensive, but I decided to take the plunge anyways.

I poured it into my favorite pint glass and the strong aroma hit me right away. Malty and deep, silky but powerful. There was a slight twinge that I felt when I put my nose to the glass, I suspect that was part of the 10% ABV though. The nose was dominated by the oak that the ale was aged in. Apart from that I could detect caramel, sweetened ginger, and smoky fall leaves.

The first few sips were a little to cold to judge, but as the ale cooled I sensed it bloom. The flavors of salted cashews, walnut oil, and strangely avocado came forward. The dominant notes were followed by caramel and warm ginger bread; lightly peppery and sweet. I must say it was, in the end though, a somewhat lackluster experience. I am not really all that surprised however, my love/hate relationship with bocks continues.

Short, sweet, and uncomplicated. Meh.

2.8 out of 5 pints

Later

No comments: