Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mendocino Brewing Co. - Blue Heron Pale Ale

For a while I avoided pale ales purely based on the fact that I was not a fan of hoppy beers. Since moving to California I have found it hard to avoid these styles, so I have begun to embrace that which I for so long avoided.

Blue Heron is a cloudy golden ale with a very crisp nose. The scent reminds me of a honeydew melon that is just not quite ripe yet. Slightly tangy with a healthy dose of sweet. Not very heady, but very pleasant.

First sip, I got hops. (I always get the hops first, call it a gift). Crisp and sweet, just a hint of lemon or tart oranges. As it warms I start to get less lemon and more sweet flowers. Not strong, just hinting at the end.

Blue Heron is a good sipping beer. Starts cool sweet and crisp and ends with a light hoppy finish.

4 out of 5 pints.

No comments: